Friday, June 18, 2010

Active Shooter Training @ Galleria (4:30 am)

I, And 24 other people volunteered to be civilians shopping at the Galleria to help the city/county/mall security/bomb/SWAT officers join forces in a coordinated unscripted exercise. We all arrived by 4:15 am to be briefed at 4:30 am with our roles and locations within the mall and during the exercise. Adrenaline started pumping with the sound of the first blast. It was so loud and felt so real and I realized in second that (I never want to shop at the Galleria again, no not really, just kidding) we as a society take our safety for granted.

Within seconds of a real shooting situation you can expect utter chaos. It is you against the world and you have no idea who is a good guy and who is a bad guy and where the bullets and blasts will come from next.

The lady in the picture has a vest with pipe bombs strapped to it. The guy has a backpack with an IED. They sure did give the snipers and SWAT a lot to deal with. I was located (at the start of the scenario) by the glass elevator near the ice rink on the 2nd floor. I was caught in crossfire between a terrorist on the 3rd floor and SWAT on the 2nd floor that was yelling at me to get down, face down with my hands on my head.

We were moved to the 3rd floor, shot at, moved to the 2nd floor, shot at, moved to the 1st floor and we finally escaped at 6:30. Though the other volunteers and areas were still hot with action until 7. We watched from between the double door entrance how the bomb squad safed the lady in the bomb vest, the guy with an IED, and a bomb with remote switch. Good job guys!

I'm so glad this was only an exercise. I hope to volunteer again in something like this. If you want to see how quickly you can get dead come volunteer. It will change your mind about your own personal safety and will make you appreciate just how difficult the jobs are of law enforcement officers. Especially when they don't have the upper hand cause it's a crowded open mall and everyone could be a threat.
Sent on the Sprint® Now Network from my BlackBerry®

No comments: