Monday, December 31, 2007

Some of the Greatest Inventions in the World...for a Motorcyclist that is

Starting from the coolest to the hottest...literally ;)

So here is one of the sweetest things I received this Christmas. It's a helmet camera and oh does it ever ROCK! Jess and I had a good time installing it on my helmet today. I'll be having some sweet videos of my rides now.

Last Thursday, Jess installed my new floorboards. I hadn't had a chance to try them out until we took off for a 700+ mile round trip to Dallas midday Saturday. It was very different to ride Annie with a place to rest my feet instead of trying to hold on to a tiny peg. Going 90+ on the way to Dallas rushing to Allen TX before the Honda shop closed was proof enough for me that the floorboards totally ROCKED to keep my legs from fatiguing on the long trips at high speeds.
On our way to Dallas, we were literally Chicksicles. We were so crazy cold that we begged and pleaded with the folks at Maxim Motorsport, a Honda shop in Allen TX (7 miles north of Plano TX), to stay open for us so we could buy some heated gear and not freeze to death. At one point in the night while we were riding it was around 36 degF. We were going about 80mph. Let's just say, it was CRAZY cold.

Once we got to Maxim Motorsports, we purchased gloves, a jacket liner, and a dual troller for both of us. Then we marched...no ran right outside and began installing them. Mind you, the folks at Maxim stayed open at least 2 extra hours for us. When we went to remove my seat, the bolt tried to strip. I asked the folks of Maxim if they could spare an 8MM rachet. They were more than agreeable even as they were shutting off the light. I have to say, I don't know that I've ever had such great service. These folks went out of their way for us.

As we were installing the wiring to our batteries, Maxim closed down, and as each of the folks were driving away, they all stopped to make sure we were doing okay. HOLY MOLY those are some great folks.

This was the controller unit that we installed to allow us to control the gloves independently of the jacket. We got the items installed, donned our heated gear, cranked up those puppies, and away we went. We were no longer Chicksicles, we were nice and toasty.

The addition of the floorboards and heated gear will make the rides much more comfortable. The addition of the helmet camera will make rides more exciting. It'll be fun to see what kinds of video I can capture while out on the open roads.

No comments: