Wednesday, July 18, 2007

The WAVE

I'm not talking about the kind at a sports event, or the kind in the ocean, I'm talking about the wave between 2 motorcyclists passing each other on a road. For me, this has got to be one of the most defining moments between 2 wheels and cagers. I remember the first time I was rolling around on my own and had a wave. My heart leaped from my chest. Was I part of this secret society? Could it be, was he waving at me? Alas, it was I. And I smiled all the way to my destination.

Some times I am passed by and not waved at, as I am a chick on a bike, and there are some folks that don't like to share the 2 wheel world with chicks. Then there are those that just plain don't understand what a privilege it is to be part of the 2 wheel world, so they don't know about the secret road handshake. And finally there are the others that think they are too cool to share the secret road handshake, and to them, I have another not so secret handshake... hee hee hee. It's a wave of the one finger kind! HA!

Well anyway, for those that haven't ever been on 2 wheels, you will never understand this instant and unpredictable induction into a secret society and the rush you get when it occurs. I can't say as I know the "proper" protocol for the road handshake, but I do my best.

2 comments:

Mike said...

Cool! Hey, check it out:

Lithium-Ion Motorcycles - http://www.technologyreview.com/read_article.aspx?id=19069

Unknown said...

99% of the bikers you pass in the motorcycle riding state of Oklahoma, will give you some type of a wave -- it's great!!