Monday, July 28, 2008

Organic Beer

Last evening while shopping at Whole Foods, I got a wild hair and decided to try an organic beer. I've not ever had an organic before, or not one that I recall. Pinkus Organic Hefe-Weizen is the beer I chose. This beer is from Munster, Germany. It seemed a bit like Blue Moon without the citrus flavor. I thought it was rather mild and didn't have a bad after taste. The beer was not as full or thick as Blue Moon. And I'm not trying to say that these beers should be identical. I am doing a comparison based on some of the beers I've tried.

I was expecting this beer to be completely weird. Maybe the USDA Organic label at the top was screaming "HIPPEE" to me. So I wasn't sure what to expect. I was pleasantly surprised and would definitely buy this beer again for a light mid afternoon brew.
There are plenty of blogs out there that will help define more indepth what it means to be a USDA Organic certified beer and all the rigorous guidelines Organic Breweries must follow. Do a google search on Pinkus beer and you'll get a really good start of information to point you towards all the answers on organic beer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi! I wanted to thank you for creepin' on into my blog-o-sphere and leaving me a note! And as for organic...well, I basicaly think that "Organic" is a hoax. I can tell you that organic farms share the same ground water (full of fertilizer and pesticides) as regular farms! Don't get me wrong, it's not like I boycott organic stuff. In fact, I have had organic beer before. It was actually HEMP beer. Talk about hippie!!!