Wednesday, July 16, 2008

With Age Comes Wisdom

I'm taking some of this from The Simple Dollar:

I was reading a lot of the stuff that Trent has to say. I can directly apply it to my life. I have been wanting to change the way that I go about managing my money and how I go about buying stuff. Now, whenever I spend money, I will try to imagine if I lost my job next week, will it still seem like a worthwhile purchase? If it won’t, then I should strongly reconsider my purchase.

Perhaps one of the most important lessons that I think is most appropriate for me at this junction in my life is "that I don’t need to put up appearances of being rich. I still worry about personal appearance, but I’ve learned that grooming and cleanliness really are 90% of the battle - if you’re clean and solidly groomed, you still carry a solid impression without dumping thousands of dollars on expensive suits and dresses. I also don’t need to show off the latest gadgets to impress; I can impress by simply being comfortable with being myself." (Trent from The Simple Dollar). Money should be a tool in my life, one that allows me to take care of what’s really important to me.

Money and material things don’t make me - I make me.

No comments: